What Is Food Addiction? Get To Know About It In Detail
Some people feel that if they don’t eat a certain type of food regardless of whether they are hungry or not, they will become stressed, angry, or even anxious. This is because they have an uncontrollable urge to eat up something when feeling a particular emotion strongly. This is known as food addiction. Sports betting games via Gamblecity could also be addictive, but with control and discipline, you might actually make a living off of it.
Although the manual of mental disorder doesn’t give a perfect explanation of the causes of food addiction and its symptoms, it is universally agreed that the person who has an uncontrollable urge to eat, irrespective of being hungry or not, is called food addiction.
So what exactly is food addiction?
According to the recent study conducted in 2019, the summarised explanation of food addiction was stated in three major points. These points are as follows:-
1. Certain foods that contain carbohydrates and fats do show some addictive features, like how some people get addicted to oily and fast food.
2. Sometimes, a specific substance initiates the addiction, like how cigarettes cause a particular high to eat out more or addiction to tea.
3. None of the above two. It may or may not have the cause mentioned above. So it is completely random.
Foods that trigger food addiction:-
A questionnaire conducted by Yale University led to the identification of certain foods that trigger food addiction. They are as follows:-
2. White bread
Symptoms of food addiction:-
There are certain symptoms that food addicts feel. Although these might be different for different people. The majority do experience the same symptoms. They are as follows:-
1. Very obsessive Food cravings and an uncontrollable urge to eat.
2. A pre-occupation that deals with food. It could be either in manufacturing or processing, or consuming food.
3. Eating despite being not hungry. Binge eating.
4. Attempts to leaving eating at all and then eating more than normal at once.
5. No clue over quantity, quality, regularity, and location of eating.
6. Depression and social anxiety.
7. Eating while being angry or flustered.
Treatment for food addiction:-
Since it is a mental disorder, the treatment for food addiction should be as per how mentally unstable patients are treated. It should involve emotional and psychological therapy sessions. The majority of treatment should include the following:-
1. CBT or cognitive behavioural therapy
2. Trauma therapy
4. Dietary Planning
5. Healthy eating
6. Solution-focused therapy
7. Replacing processed and unnatural foods with juices and natural foods.
8. Avoiding nicotine, alcohol, and caffeine.
9. Exercising and yoga to maintain a sound mind.
10. Getting enough sleep.
11. Drinking plenty of water.
So this was the article on food addiction. It is very important that you understood all the points related to food addiction. If you feel that something is left out, please comment below. Remember, the mind controls the body, so a healthy mind would automatically have a healthy body.